- Mandatory Meeting: 9am
- Race Start: 10am
- This 15+ mile mountain bike race begins and ends at the Visitor’s Center of the Sugarite State Park, located approximately 5 miles northeast of Raton, New Mexico.
- The starting elevation is approximately 7000 feet.
- The race climbs to over 8200 feet at the top of Wapiti Trail, and over 8000 feet at the top of Ponderosa Trail.
- There is ample parking at the Visitor’s Center to accommodate family and friends. There is also parking at the Boat Ramp where there will be several challenge stations.
- The race will be a mass start at 10:00 a.m. sharp, with a challenge element that will stagger riders based on performance.
- As the race begins, riders will proceed about three miles on a gradual uphill on a wide ATV type trail past Lake Alice, toward Lake Maloya on Lake to Lake Trail. At Lake Maloya, riders will start the first of two uphill climbs.
- The course requires that riders do the Wapiti Trail loop once and the Ponderous Loop once in no particular order. The loops must be done with all riders riding in the same direction. Counterclockwise for Wapiti and Clockwise for Ponderosa.
- Riders will then proceed back down toward Lake Alice on the Lake to Lake Trail, then complete the ride following the Visitor’s Center trail upon which they started.
- Each segment of the trail will also have challenge stations/checkpoints.
- All challenges must be completed and passports must have all stamps in order to finish. There will be severe time penalties for any challenges left undone.
- Those participating as a 2 person team can transition anywhere along the course they wish. There is no specific regulations as to which section(s) of the course is to be ridden by which team member or which challenge(s) are to be completed by which team member.
- Team members can not be shuttled to different locations of the race course in order to facilitate transitions. All movement along the course by participants must be done under man power.
- See COURSE MAP for specifics on the trail.
- Brief details on the challenge stations will be forthcoming. There will be multiple stations and adventures.
- Timing will officially end at 3:00 p.m.
- Snacks will also be available after the race at the Visitor’s Center for all racers.